Tiverton : Bampton Charter Fair
Bampton Charter Fair has been going for over 750 years, and unlike many other similar Fairs, it is not a modern reinvention of the event, but has been running continuously all that time, a true heritage experience. This is because of its historic connection with the agricultural life of
Exmoor and the surrounding area.
The Fair takes place within the streets of the town which are closed to traffic for the day.
A fun day out for all the family!
* A Street Market with over 100 stalls plus the rare breed animals and working blacksmith.
* The Entertainments include Jan’s Van, Rattlebox Theatre with Rastus the Rat, Bampton Players and the Mummers’ Play, Chucklefoot one-man band, and Punch & Judy Show
* Music all day provided by the likes of Red Hot Steel Band, Stripey Howling Hancock, Jason Hinchley, Luella Exe and Ian Idris (to be finalised later).
* The Traditional Pony Auctions with fur and feathers, farm machinery, saddlery and tack.
* Funfair – the well-known Rowland’s West Country fun-fair in the Station Road car park.
* Traditional Craftsmen such as willow weaving, leatherwork, jewellery, basket making, fly dressing, and wood carving.
* Local Produce - sample preserves, cheeses, pasties and cakes, meats and pies, coffees, plants, traditional plum duff, and ciders.
* Crafts Fair in Bampton Church including jewellery, silver and pearls, pottery, jute bags, wood crafts, to name but a few.
* Second-hand Book Sale run by Exmoor Rotary.
* Refreshments available all over the town.
Parking £5 – no personal admission charge
One of the finest surviving Gothic Revival houses, built in the lush landscape of Mid Devon,...4.2 miles away
Atmospheric, historic medieval castle originally built 1106 by order of Henry I and later rebuilt...5.51 miles away
The first stone church on this site was consecrated in 1073. It has seen many changes including...5.66 miles away
Indulge your senses and relax on this rare horse-drawn barge, now only one of only five in Britain...5.95 miles away
Abbotshood Cycle Hire is situated approximately midway along the 11.5 mile length of the Grand...6.17 miles away
With glowing reviews in the leading wine magazines of France, Germany and Britain in the last year...8.63 miles away
Watermill, fishing centre and gift shop with restaurant, situated on Exe Valley Way at Bickleigh...9.06 miles away
St Andrew's church dates from the fifteenth century and is set back from the main street but...9.94 miles away
St Mary’s has been the Parish church of Kentisbeare since medieval times and celebrates the 750th...10.81 miles away
Historic manor house, gardens and coach house tea rooms in lovely setting with stunning countryside...11.01 miles away
The Blackdown Hills form a tranquil, beautiful, and relatively isolated landscape on the Devon and...12.12 miles away
An 18thC house built for the Acland family. Hillside garden of 18 acres with rare trees and shrubs.13.6 miles away